[N&W] Re: Rock Slide Detector Fences

Tue May 25 22:52:36 EDT 2004

As VGN had no signals Matoaka to South Branch, is it safe to
say VGN had no slide fence protection in this territory ? I mean
we're talking the palisades of the New River and the rock out
croppings at Perrow here.
Harry Bundy
I expected some expert to comment on this before now, but I'll relate my
understanding of slide detector fences on the N&W.  First, it is unrealistic
to expect a woven wire fence to keep boulders or large rocks off the tracks.
Depending on the size of the rock and the momentum it picks up before
striking the fence, the rock could tear right through the fence.  Instead,
each end of the fence has a cable running to a switch that is tied into the
signal system in such a way as to set the appropriate signals at their most
restrictive aspect whenever the cable is pulled due to a lateral
displacement of the fence.  If too many rocks were allowed to accumulate
behind the fence, they could push against the fence with sufficient force to
keep the switch at the end tripped, and the signals set against traffic.

Many years ago I remember hearing that some track-side residents would
somehow push hard enough on the fence to set the signals and stop a coal
train, after which they would clammer onto the tops of the cars to throw off
coal for use in their homes.  Probably a Great Depression era happening.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 8:12 PM
Subject: Rock Slide Detector Fences

 > ROCK  SLIDE  DETECTOR  FENCES
 >
 > Some years ago while visiting a model railroad, one
 > of the members asked me about slide detector fences.
 > Locked in a not unusual model railroad mountain
 > predicament, the modeler was faced with very steep
 > -- almost vertical -- high embankments paralleling
 > his nicely curving mainline.
 >
 > Rather than mumble onward, I showed him several
 > slide detector fences in N&W and Clinchfield photo
 > books. For a modeler, I thought this was perfect as,
 > for me, there is no way better to model than directly
 > from proto photos.
 >
 > And he did.
 >
 > I was back there a month later and his slide fences
 > looked excellent, very close to the photos. Some were
 > in place while several others were formed and just
 > about ready to install. Nice job!
 >
 > Well, not so nice.
 >
 > I dropped in a few weeks later and about lost my lunch. All the slide
 > fences were in place and sceniced -- they looked great -- but between the
 > fences and the steep walls, the modeler had poured in enough rock scraps
 > fill in the space about half way up his rock detector fence and all along
 > the full length of his excellent detecting wire web.
 >
 > Whaaaa?
 >
 > The modeler was thrilled with his work and merrily showed off all the
 > details, even including "... all the rock that over the years had
 > accumulated ..." behind the fence. He said he believed such a rock pile
was
 > prototypical.
 >
 > Hummmm ...
 >
 > So, I asked him to show me a proto photo of slide detector fence holding
 > back that much rock. Of course, no such photo came to the limelight.
 >
 > However ...
 >
 > The situation stimulated an excellent debate (in which I mostly did not
 > partake) and which would have made cable TV's "Hardball" sound wimpy.
There

http://users2.ev1.net/~swmeier/DRGW/MOWBooks/1966Book/images/Page%20156.1.jpg