[N&W] Re: Train Air Brakes

Mon May 31 14:28:48 EDT 2004

In a message dated 11/1/2003 12:07:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:
 >If a car is to be set out along line-of-road when it is necessary to drift
 >the car into a siding, for example, the angle cock on each end of the car
 >can be closed so that the air brakes will NOT apply when the car is
 >uncoupled and the air hoses part. The car can then roll free under the
 >control of a brakeman who applies the handbrake as necessary. Rules
 >generally specify that the air brakes should not be depended on to hold
 >standing cars -- the hand brakes must be set because air brakes can leak off
 >over time.

The operative word here is "Can". While I have done this, called "bottling
the air", it was frowned upon. Especially if you were dumb enough to reach
around and open the angle cock to put the air brakes on the car. There was
also a very high chance that the air could leak down enough to apply the
brakes before the car got in the clear, so it was much better (and safer)
to shoot the air and bleed the brakes off.
Jimmy Lisle