[N&W] N&W M-433 [Last Operating History]

Mon May 31 14:30:59 EDT 2004

In October 1957, the N&W offered M-433 to the Town of Abingdon.  In November
1958, the engine was moved to its present location at the head of the
Virginia Creeper Trail [just south of the Abingdon Branch switch].

I am working with a small group of volunteers undertaking a cosmetic
restoration of this rare piece of equipment. I believe that you may have
received a message from Pete Montague inquiring about a replacement marker
light. I have seen some responses to that inquiry.  Pete & I both very much
appreciate the assistance you have given.

I have long been intrigued about the "recent" history of M-433. My questions
are fairly simple: Where did M-433 last operate?  Where was the engine
located immediately before being moved to Abingdon?

Some people in Abingdon think M-433 operated on the Abingdon Branch during
the last days of steam.  However, there is evidence to the contrary.

Here are some facts.

* M-433 has the small [14 tons of coal/3000 gallon of water] tender.

* M-433 does not have a stack spark arrester, nor does it show evidence of
ever being equipped with one.

* A person who served as a fireman on the Abingdon Branch in the late 1940s
and early 1950s states that he does not recall M-433 in use during his
service.

*None of Link's mid-1950s photos along the Abingdon Branch show M-433. [Mr.
Garver, Link's assistant, wrote in Steel, Steam and Stars, pp 129-130,
"Motive power on the line was limited to a Class M 4-8-0 (usually the 382,
396, or 429, all of which were outfitted with a heavily flanged
spark-arrester stack . . . the 495 was also used until it dropped its crown
sheet near Damascus in 1953) . . .".

* As shown in Link's photos, engines 382, 396 and 429 all were equipped with
20 tons/12000 gallon tenders.

It is not possible to say that M-433 NEVER ran on the Abingdon Branch.
However, it certainly appears that it did not operate on it during the last
years before steam was discontinued in 1957.

I would greatly appreciate any information that you or other NWHS members
might provide regarding M-433. In the meantime, I will continue the search
locally.

Charles W. Seaver
NWHS Member