[N&W] 2-8-0 Consolidation Type Locomotive Class G1

Mon May 31 14:58:24 EDT 2004

My humble collection of N&W diesel references have grown (Withers had both
volumes in-stock), but my steam references remain slim, so I have another
question for the group.

I have TLC's reprint of the N&WRY Co. Diagram of Standard Locomotives
(1938/updated 1941), which shows two diagrams of the "2-8-0 Consolidation
Type Locomotive Class G1".  My only other source is a roster from Jim
Nichol's N&W in Color 1945-1964, which shows 4 G-1's still in service with
the road numbers 4 to 7.

Did the N&W own/operate more of the 2-8-0 Consolidations before 1938?

Jeff Hancock
<j.t.hancock at home.com>