[N&W] Re: O Winston Link Tour

Mon May 31 15:13:36 EDT 2004

Hi JR,

  1) The stone bridge where the Christmas tree photo was taken is at Seven
Mile Ford.  It is located about 30 miles northeast of Bristol or five miles
southwest of Marion on US 11.  The stone bridge was still there when we
visited it on the Bristol convention.

  2) The drive-in movie theater where the famous "Hot Shot" photo was taken no
longer exists.  The last time I was through there it was just a field.  It is
located just east of Yaeger, West Virginia on US 52.

 > 3) The gas pump photo.  [snip]
- Vesuvius is about 65 miles north of Lexington on US 11, the one mile east
on VA 56.  There's not much to see there

 > I was also thinking of visiting White Top.  Is it worth it?
-  Virginia is building a replica of the station at White Top.  I don't know
what progress has been made on it.  Of course there are no rails there.
Nothing but the "Virginia Creeper" hiking/biking trail.  The best way to
experience the Abingdon branch today is to rent a bicycle in Damascus, take
the shuttle to White Top, and coast down the right-of-way all the way back to
Damascus.  That's a sixteen mile trip one way but it is all down hill!  You
will use your breaks more than your pedals.  There are many trestles and
bridges along the way and the Green Cove station is still extant.  The state
has an information and souvenir stand in the Green Cove station.  It is open
on weekends during the summer.  Be sure to look for "Old Maude" while you are
there.

 > I would also appreciate any other "must see" sites I should visit as
 > recommended by members of this group.  Any and all advice is welcome!

- Must see spots? Roanoke - of course!

Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, Virginia
 > 3) The gas pump photo.  I know this was in Vesuveus (I know
 > I murdered the spelling)  I am just wondering if the pump is
 > still standing and if it is easy to spot.

     The gas pump is gone, but the store is still standing. My understanding
is that someone in Lexington bought the gas pump and contents of the building
a few years ago.
Jimmy [Lisle]
The Gas pump was standing until just a few years ago but is now gone.

Mason Cooper
JR:

     I'll let the VA guys answer the others, but as for no. 2, it is "Drive
in at Iaeger" West Virginia.  The drive in is long gone and a couple of
years ago the whole area was covered with fill dirt to bring the gound level
with the tracks... Probably NOT worth the drive from Virginia by itself;
however, if you are by chance driving through WV on your way, by all means
try to get there.  Of course I am biased, but a drive along US52 from
Bluefield to Iaeger has many nice locations, including the title page photo
from Steam, Steel, & Stars is shot at Nothrfork, WV on the way to Iaeger in
addition to the Cooper Bridge (two Link pictures in his second book).  You
can contactme directly for more information.

Steve Summers  ssummers1 at mindspring.com
JR no trip to Virginia would be complete without a visit to the Virginia
Transportation Museum,located in Roanoke,Va,and within sight of the Hotel
Roanoke.There you can see several diffrent displays of railroading history
of the N&W,and also the 611,among other forms of motive power at the museum.

Stephen Daniel
Chesapeake,Va
The stone bridge where the photo was taken with 611 is in Seven Mile
Ford, Virginia, about 10 minutes from my house. It is super easy access
from Interstate 81, and is visible from the interstate.  At exit 39,
get off I-81 and the tracks are on the NORTH side of the interstate.
If you're north bound on 81 get off the interstate and turn left, going
over top the interstate, and you'll see it about a quarter mile in
front of you.  If you are southbound on 81, then take exit 39 and turn
right.  You should have no problem finding it.
Just as a note, this tressle is getting in pretty rough shape, and some
NS folks have told me that its days are numbered.  Anyone who's been
meaning to take pictures of it might ought to come on up here and get
them soon.  If NS does double track this route as is rumored, this
tressle will not survive.  It is requiring a lot of maintainence, (the
arch part that is).
When you do find it, you will note that the date it was built is carved
in the top of the arch, 1896.  As for parking to take pictures, there
is a little spot about 500 feet before you get to the tressle on the
left next to the river, where fisherman sometimes park.  I park there
whenever I am trainwatching at the tressle.  The house beside the
tressle is gone now, and the land is now part of the Smyth County
Vocational School grounds.
Good Luck,
Ben Blevins

#2.  Is in Welch WV.  That is in the Southern part of the State.  You would
need to go to Roanoke and into Bluefield, WV and take Route 52 up to Welch.
This area is great for both Virginian and the N&W roads.  The Virginian at
Princeton and the N&W at Bluefield and Welch.  Don [Mills] in WV
Responding to JR
    Stone arch site of O Winston's pix is at Seven Mile Ford, VA just off
the Interstate (I-81)(The white house is no longer there). If you will
post your e-mail address I will send you a photograph made on Oct. 29,
1994 of 611 crossing at the same spot (on the final steam excursion on
the Bristol to Radford line). And will also tab a few must see sights
(and dos) such as the Virginia Creeper Trail to Green Cove (Old Maude's
site) and White Top.
    All the best,  Mike Pierry, Jr.
JR. I'll gladly take you to the trestle at Seven-Mile Ford Va,Green Cove,Va
and Whitetop VA as well as Rural Retreat and other sites in the area
whenever you can make down my way to Marion Va, we toured most of these
sites during the 1998 Bristol Va convention.e-mail me directly when you can
come,the Watauga valley nrhs will be offering fall Amtrak excursions on
nov.4&5 from Johnson City Tenn. to Radford Va and return each day,you need
to take this trip in too,as it is a rareity.for a brochure call
1-423-753-5797. ex-N&W coach #539 will be in the consist.

Gary Price at gpprice_nsc at yahoo.com