[N&W] Re: N&W Alco question

Mon May 31 15:24:38 EDT 2004

Sir;

Two corrections: regard C430 and C630

N&W did not have any C430, there were no hi hood versions ever.  N&W did
have hi
hood C420 and C425 locomotives.  Inherited from NKP was a lone lo hood
C420, and
from Wabash came several C424 and C425 in lo hood form.

N&W seemed much more pleased with the C630 than the C628.  The C628 were
all sold
to C&NW at a bargin price, while the asking price for the C630 was much much
higher, and C&NW was not interested at the higher price.  All of the C630 were
later modified for use in yard service with slug built from FM
Trainmasters.  The
C630 and two slugs (~300,000 lbs continuous tractive effort) moving whole
trains,
including locomotives.   The N&W, later NS keep the C630 for approaching 30
years, with one at the VT restored to orginal blue paint.

Nigel

<<snipped:>>

 > As for what demonstrators made of ALCO's made it to the N&W for a visit.  I
 > would guess the C628's as N&W had quite a few of them and maybe the C430's.
 > The reason I say maybe on the C430's is speculation because the N&W got some
 > via merger and probably later ordered the hi-hood version.  The N&W's
 > experience with the C630 was not too favorable, so I doubt if the late
set of
 > C636's would have made it to the N&W.
 >
 > <<snipped>>
 >
 > A.J. Gemperline
==N&W rostered the C430? This is news to me. The
highest HP B-B Alcos on the N&W were C425 (#1000 to
1016).

Mark Peele