[N&W] Rebuilding of K's, K2's, and K2a's

Wed Jun 2 21:50:33 EDT 2004

I am aware that the N&W made many improvements to it's mountain type
locomotives over the years, thus improving their performance and extending
their useful service lives.  However, I am wondering why the N&W motive
power officials did not approve of two improvements in particular that I
believe would have made the performance of these locomotives even better.
These are the cast steel frame and front-end throttle.  I realize that the
N&W while thrifty, was also cash rich, and these improvements would
probably not have cost any shareholders their dividends.  Is there any
motive power department literature, or correspondence pertaining to the
pro's and con's of including these upgrades in the rebuilding
programs?  What about fully equipping all engine and tender axles with
roller bearings?  I respect Roanoke's work and the K's but I was curious
why these improvements were not made.

Sincerely,
Nathan Driscoll