Pole Line removal on the Bristol Line

Tue Jul 6 09:02:46 EDT 2004

Ron,
Your photo south of Marion is actually at McMullin, and the first pole still standing has an LA box where westward signal B3681 was connected to the pole line.  In the corner of the photo you can see the footer where the switch machine was mounted for the east end switch.  They haven't removed this segment yet because it crosses a state roadway and it crosses AEP and Sprint lines.  They need their cherry picker to cut these lines out before they can cut it down.
Ben Blevins

Frank,

I followed the Bristol Line on Sunday from Abingdon to Wytheville. The Pole
Line still stands in places and is completely down in others. See the
following pictures.

The first is north of Abingdon look towards the south. The line comes north
from Abingdon and ends at the pole in the photo. The next pole lies in the
forground.
http://www.nwhs.org/qna/photos/PoleLineAbingdon.jpg

This is the same location looking north.
http://www.nwhs.org/qna/photos/PoleLineAbingdon2.jpg

The second picture is south of Marion next to the US-11/I-81 interchange.
Again looking south, the line is intact to the pole standing in the photo.
http://www.nwhs.org/qna/photos/PoleLineSMarion.jpg

Gary Price explained that they are starting with the poles and line they
can reach from roadways and such. Later they will need Norfolk Southern
assistance to coordinate pole line removal where access interferes with
railroad operations.

I do not know about Shenandoah Division Pole Line removal. I suspect it may
be coming down in a manner similar to the Radford Division.

Ron Davis