4-8-0 M-2 class

Mon Jul 12 16:20:05 EDT 2004

A number of RRs used that type of relief valve ­ ATSF¹s newer power comes to
mind.

I believe that relief valves relieved pressure buildup in the cylinders when
the loco was coasting and the valve gear was ³hooked up² so that steam
couldn¹t move from one end of the cylinder to the other.  (They may also
have helped to keep cinders, etc., from being sucked into the cylinders
while coasting.)  Without them, I believe that engineers had to keep the
throttle cracked a little so that the loco was working very lightly, even
though the train may have been braking.

I chimed in because no one else had; I¹m sure that others have more
definitive comments.

Pete Groom