ID needed on old N&W passenger trains

Thu Jul 15 15:51:28 EDT 2004

I have a good friend who acquired some excellent old N&W movie film. He is in
the process of developing a VHS/DVD finished product which we will sell
publicly in a month or so. In order that his work will be as correct as possible,
he has a several questions for which I hope the group will provide answers. As
best he can tell, the film was shot in the middle 1950s.

There is a web site on which he has posted photos from the film that go with
some of his questions. That site is:
http://home.comcast.net/~hoboron/test/nnw.htm

1) Can anyone provided spot or regional locations for the photos on the web
site or descriptions below?

2) Regarding passenger trains:
........A) Train with no baggage car: Was that likely the Powhatan Arrow?
........B) Train with Southern Rwy coaches: Was that likely the Tennessean?
........C) Train with a mail car: Is this likely the Pocahontas? Was the
Pocahontas one of a few N&W trains that had a mail car?
........D) Trains with lots of baggage cars in front and only one or two
passenger coaches: What was their name?
........E) Mixed trains with either a K or M Class single coach on the rear:
What was their most typical name? Might they be Blacksburg or Christiansburg
locals?
........F) The Powhatan Arrow and Pocahontas trains: Was their any difference
in their consists between 55/56 and 57/58?  Did the PA lose its Obs car?

3) What was the class of the 0-8-0 tank switchers? The 800 series?

Many thanks in advance for the assistance. We will let you know when the
product is available.

Later ... Bob Loehne