ID needed on old N&W passenger trains

Fri Jul 16 06:07:03 EDT 2004

Hi...
Are you the same fellow I just purchased a DVD of about an hour of N&W steam in Roanoke from? If so I look forward to you having this available as well. If not, well, I still look forward to it!

Bob Welsh
Hillsville VA
  Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 3:51 PM
  Subject: ID needed on old N&W passenger trains

  I have a good friend who acquired some excellent old N&W movie film. He is in the process of developing a VHS/DVD finished product which we will sell publicly in a month or so. In order that his work will be as correct as possible, he has a several questions for which I hope the group will provide answers. As best he can tell, the film was shot in the middle 1950s.

  There is a web site on which he has posted photos from the film that go with some of his questions. That site is: http://home.comcast.net/~hoboron/test/nnw.htm

  1) Can anyone provided spot or regional locations for the photos on the web site or descriptions below?

  2) Regarding passenger trains:
  ........A) Train with no baggage car: Was that likely the Powhatan Arrow?
  ........B) Train with Southern Rwy coaches: Was that likely the Tennessean?
  ........C) Train with a mail car: Is this likely the Pocahontas? Was the Pocahontas one of a few N&W trains that had a mail car?
  ........D) Trains with lots of baggage cars in front and only one or two passenger coaches: What was their name?
  ........E) Mixed trains with either a K or M Class single coach on the rear: What was their most typical name? Might they be Blacksburg or Christiansburg locals?
  ........F) The Powhatan Arrow and Pocahontas trains: Was their any difference in their consists between 55/56 and 57/58?  Did the PA lose its Obs car?

  3) What was the class of the 0-8-0 tank switchers? The 800 series?

  Many thanks in advance for the assistance. We will let you know when the product is available.

  Later ... Bob Loehne