Winston-Salem, NC operations?

Mon Jul 19 22:52:53 EDT 2004

I'm not sure I can afford the answers to my question. I bought a year's
worth of The Arrow and a IM box car kit from the Commissary after asking
about the ID's of some steam era freight cars :-)  And I've got leads on
some other kits from Westerfield and Sunshine. yikes!

But I'm now expanding my interest in the N&W beyond it's once potential
bridge route with the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley across the Blue Ridge and
it's actual link with the Atlantic & Yadkin Railway at Walnut Cove, NC.

Where would I learn about the N&W's operations around Winston-Salem and the
Piedmont region of North Carolina?  In fact what division covered that
territory?

FYI, I have a copy of the Winston-Salem Southbound book, the N&W Handbook,
and the North Carolina Branch paperback books.  Would The Arrow have
covered W-S area operations in an article?  If I were looking for ETT's
from the early to mid 30's or the late 40's, what division would I be
looking for?

Thanks,

Dave
David Bott			david.m.bott at dartmouth.edu