J Builders plate on ebay

Wed Aug 18 08:47:31 EDT 2004

This one, as I posted is not original. Two fellows from Roanoke had
plates made for some time for a wide variety of classes, and
locomotives. They were cast in yellow brass, not bronze as were the
originals. The best education on things like this is to compare
originals when you have them, if you do not have or know someone who
has an original, be very, very careful. Many many fakes are out there.
To the best of my knowledge, all the original J plates were chromed,
now the chrome could have come off over time, but even the J1 class
plate I have seen, original had a pretty fair amount of chrome left on
it.  The color photo of the 600 as new out of Roanoke Shop in October
1941 plainly shows the chrome plate. There were also apparently several
more 600 builder plates cast in 1941 as presentation plates from what I
understand. Those were flat, not curved to fit the jacket. In addition,
J plates had a strap mark worn on the back that plainly shows. I
emailed the seller of the plate on ebay, and he responded very nicely,
and understood and believed what I told him about the plate.

Ken Miller