J Builders plate on ebay

Tue Aug 24 21:26:39 EDT 2004

Rick Morrison,

Yes.  The builder's numbering system for Roanoke produced locomotives
started at "1" for the first locomotive out shopped by the Roanoke Machine
Works.

According to a tabulation titled, "Locomotives and Boilers Manufactured by
Roanoke Shops," which I believe may have been compiled by the late N & W
historian, Art Bixby in the 1970's, the first locomotive produced by the
Roanoke Machine Works, the photographically immortalized Class I locomotive
117, outshopped 9/1884, had the boiler number "1."  The 118 had boiler
number "2," etc.

Addressing Rod Peisker's request about builder's numbers for N & W Class J
4-8-4 locomotives, the same tabulation shows:

    The 600 - 604 had boiler numbers 311 - 315
    The 605 - 610 had boiler numbers 347 - 352
    The 611 - 613 had boiler numbers 388 - 390

Although this tabulation uses the term "boiler number," the more common
terms are "builder's number," "builder number" or "construction number"
usually depending on the builder.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 8:43 AM
Subject: Re: J Builders plate on ebay