Rail Oiler

Wed Aug 25 02:17:33 EDT 2004

Hello, Dave:

I think it served the same purpose as today's flange
greaser: to reduce the amount of flange wear on the
insides of rail curves.

Best wishes,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:08:56 -0400
Subject: Rail Oiler

As I was perusing my recently purchased copy of the
NWHS "N&W Signal Diagrams" book I found something I
had never seen or even been aware of.  It is found on
pages 59 and following in the a fore mentioned book.
It is a "rail oiler".  Can any one on the list fill me
in on why they were used and where.  It's obvious that
it was to put oil on the railhead.  I've always
thought that oil and rails don't mix and make for a
very slippery time.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all info.

Dave Moorehead
Milford, OH