Rail Oiler

Wed Aug 25 09:03:23 EDT 2004

Dave,

Although I've not seen the "N&W Signal Diagrams" book, I'll take a WAG and
say it refers to what is now called a "flange lubricator".

These are devices that spread a thin film (microns thick) of a very low
viscosity grease on the rail at the point of contact between the railhead
and the flange surface of the wheels. The device is activated by the passage
of a train over it.

Many railroads believe that the use of flange lubricators reduces the
frictional drag of a train--particularly around sharp curves (10 degrees or
more). There are several nearby to where I live in North Carolina on the CSX
line (nee Seaboard Air Line) from Hamlet to Bostic.

One in particular interested me. It is located in Waco, NC and is on a very
long tangent! Kind of blows the whole hypothesis as to why flange
lubricators are used in the first place.

Then I noticed that about 50 yards west of the lubricator is a very
noticeable vertical curve. Seems like the hypothesis holds for curves of all
types!

Remember, this is just a WAG as to what the book was referring to. You are
correct in most instances that oily rails aren't particularly desirable.

Regards,

DGL