Rail Oiler

Thu Aug 26 05:10:32 EDT 2004

Rail Greasers...the bane of every locomotive engineer.

       A good idea that still leaves a lot to be desired. In the perfect
world of the MofW Dept., the grease is supposed to lubricate the flange of the
wheels on curves. The trouble is that most of the time it migrates to the top of
the rail making traction difficult.
       This is particularly true in spells of wet weather. I have seen grease
travel from the greaser for almost a mile during a week of rain. It was so
bad that once I even slid all the way across Natural Bridge. Another time, the
pusher units lost all power going up Appo. I can't begin to describe the
calamity that was. How that train stayed in one piece I'll never know.
Jimmy Lisle