Signals

Tue Sep 28 20:57:59 EDT 2004

I would say what you have is the installation of the automatic block signals in 1926 with semaphores supplied by US&S.  In 1946-47 the semaphores were changed to position lights, and much of the equipment cases and poles, etc. was reused for the PL's.  This would have been CTC.  The change to color PL's would come in another fifteen or so years in around 1962.
Ben Blevins

Sent: Friday, September 24, 2004 10:31 PM
Subject: Signals

I was reading an article in Trains mag on Cincinnati Sept 2002.  Speaking on the Cinti District, they said automatic signals were installed in 1926.  I checked in the N&W Reports CD and it says the same.  I talked to a signal maintainer in 2003, and he said the signals were installed in 1946/1947.  The Reports CD says that CTC was installed in 1947 after the line changed between Peebles and Mineral Springs.

Q; Were the 1926 signals the Semaphore type, or were they the CPLs?

Semaphores.

What was the change with the signals in 1947?

Installation of CTC with the new signals.

Ed King
Jeff Wood
twlv18japie at earthlink.net
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.