Dog Houses upon Tenders

Sun Oct 24 23:39:57 EDT 2004

I think that you will find that most of the large railroads of that time had dog houses on the tenders. I know the Southern, L&N, NC&StL, SAL, and ACL all had some and I believe even the Central of Georgia did as well.............

Jason Greene
Dahlonega, GA
  Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 7:06 PM
  Subject: Dog Houses upon Tenders

  My son the Hog Head stops by every trip on his way to work and we have big discussions about Ray-Roadin'  (as Tony Ingram used to call it.)

  Today he asked me about the advent of dog houses (brakeman's cupolas) on tanks, and what were the first engines to have them.

  I came up dry for an informed answer, but conjectured that they probably appeared shortly after the advent of stokers, the stoker having given the fireman more time to sit upon the cusions (and the brakeman less time to sit thereupon.)  Therefore, I speculated, dog houses were probably first applied to the class Z's.

  How far did I miss the mark, Gentlemen?

  Oh... Logan also wants to know if any other roads, besides the N&W and PRR, used dog houses ?

  -- abram burnett,
           (oblast of new cumberland,
                 imperial province of pennsylvania)

  Spasi Hospodi l'udi Tvoja, I blahoslovi dostojanije Tvoje.
  Ko Teb'i, Hospodi, vozzovu; Bozhe moj, do ne premolchishi ot mene.

  Prokeimenon of the Divine Liturgy for the Sunday before Theophany,
                        in Old Church Slavonic