Where was "South Roanoke" ?

Sun Oct 31 01:23:34 EDT 2004

>From Oct. 1907 through May 1908 the point SOUTH ROANOKE was used to designate a point that in previous schedules was called CAMPBELL STREET.  In schedules after that date the designation was omitted.  I don't believe this is what we're looking for.

Beginning in Jan. 1918, the point previously designated BELT LINE JUNCTION is shown as SOUTH ROANOKE.

As to the verbal tradition concerning movements during WWI.....Yes & No.

May 1918 Special Instructions state that "All northward Winston District frt. trains and light engines will, unless otherwise ordered, use Roanoke Yard Belt Line from SOUTH ROANOKE to West Junction......Switchmen will be stationed at West Belt Line Junction to let trains into receiving yard. The Belt Line will be used by trains and engines in one direction only, "northward".  .......Southward Winston District freight trains and light engines will proceed to SOUTH ROANOKE TELEGRAPH OFFICE via Campbell Street under yard rules.  Switch at SOUTH ROANOKE will be handled by operator."

However in March 1919, things take a different turn.

"All Winston District freight trains southward and Norfolk Divisions trains via Virginian Railroad will move via Shaeffer's Crossing (sic), Belt Line Junction and via Belt Line tracks to SOUTH ROANOKE.....  The normal position of switch west  end of Y, SOUTH ROANOKE,will be left setting in position for the movement of Norfolk Division trains eastward via the Belt Line to Walnut Street  for delivery to the Virginian Railroad.  The two locals southward over the Winston District and all northward Winston District trains will move via Campbell and Walnut Streets, and southward trains will get a clearance card or 31 order at Walnut Street Tower.  Switch at SOUTH ROANOKE will be handled by the operator. ....."

The July 13, 1919 Spec. Insts. omit all of the above.

Then in the May 1920 Spec. Insts. "All northward Winston Sub-division freight trains and engines, except Train No. 54, unless otherwise ordered, take south switch of Wye at SOUTH ROANOKE and move over Belt Line to West Roanoke Yard...... A three-trick telegraph office is established at SOUTH ROANOKE and the operator will handle the switch. .....No southward movements will be made on the Belt Line, except under flag protection or by special order.

No telegraph call is shown. (This info is from the "Roanoke Yard" special instructions in Radford Division timetables.

YD BKM
  Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 6:57 PM
  Subject: Where was "South Roanoke" ?

  Several men who hired about 1920 told me that they had heard even older men on the railroad speak of "South Roanoke."  They recalled that this location had been mentioned as a block and/or train order office in a one-story shanty.  They had no exact information as to its location, but believed it to have been several hundred feet south of Franklin Road on the Punkin' Vine, at Roanoke.  Perhaps it was the location which handled the switch diverting northward trains off the Punkin'Vine onto the Belt Line for their trip to "WB" (West Belt Line Jct," which in my time was called the "Radford Division Pull In.")

  As I recall, the siding at Valley Lumber Co (as it was called 40 years ago,) located in the southwest quadrant of the intersection of Franklin Road and Brandon Avenue, gave evidence of having been extended, at one time, southward past the lumber company buildings, and having joined the Punkin' Vine main track.  In other words, the Valley Lumber Co. siding might have been the stump of an old connecting track providing for northward movement off the Punkin' Vine into the Roanoke Belt Line.

  Had "South Roanoke" been at this location, such would be completely consistent with the verbal tradition that, during World War I, northward Punkin'Vine trains used the Roanoke Belt Line to get to "WB" (which was then at the west end of the Belt Line, at the Roadway Material yard and ae the Radford Division Pull In.

  Has anyone concrete information on "South Roanoke" ?

  And the crown jewel would be if someone could come up with the telegraph call for "South Roanoke" !

  -- abram burnett