Hagerstown: "Vardo yard is nearby"

Mon Nov 8 21:20:16 EST 2004

Hello Jerry,

Any decent road map will get you there, because the yard and Maryland state route 632 ("Maryland Avenue"/"Downsville Pike") run parallel north of Interstate 70.  New since I lived in the area, there is a new exit (28) directly to Downsville Pike from Interstate 70.  Interstate 70 crosses the Shenandoah line and from the interstate, you can look due north into the yard, albeit briefly.

It's been some years since I lived in the area, but I found the foundations of the PRR locomotive facility, which also serviced N&W locomotives.  If you are feeling ambitious, you may be able to find these also.  They are west of Burhans Blvd, roughly half-way between Wesel Road to the north and Virginia Avenue to the south.  Follow Downsville Pike/Maryland Avenue north, turn left (west) on Wilson Blvd.  Wilson Blvd transitions to Burhans Blvd as you cross Virginia Avenue.  And if you continue northwards along Burhans Blvd, you will pass (on your right) what is left of the vast Western Maryland Rwy facilities.

By the way, the Washington County Free Library, has copies of the series of volumes titled A Pictorial History of Steam Railroads of the Tri-State Area, Carroll F. Spitzer, ed.  The photographs are not large, four to the page, but the volumes (original, Book #2, and Book #3) have interesting pictures variously titled "C. V. Roundhouse Hagerstown" and "N & W maintenance shops - Hagerstown" and showing N&W and PRR engines, on the facility and in transit.  And one closer-up view of the coaling tower.

Below my signature, in case you may find useful, are my research-notes summary sent to this forum in March, 2000.

Best regards,
Steve Koppe