Passenger service on the Durham District

Tue Nov 9 23:04:43 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/9/04 10:40:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

Chuck:

I believe the mixed service was  discontinued sometime in 1957=58. The one
time I saw this mixed train coming  into Lyncuburg the passenger/express service
was provided in a combine on the  end of a twenty or so car freight train.
The scheduled time from Lynchburg to  Durham was about 8 hours.... less than 15
mph to permit switching along the  way.

        Ray Smoot

Thank you for the dates.  According to the acount in the local papers  on
8/9/54, Train 76 was to leave Lynchburg at 8:45 am and reach Durham  at 4:05 pm.
Train 75 was to leave Durham at 6:30 am and arrive in  Lynchburg at 2:45 pm.
With that type of schedule I am surprised that the  service lasted that long.

Where did trains 75 and 76 meet to pass each other?  In South  Boston? And
was a 20 boxcar train normal for that time?

Thanks again,

Chuck Stewart