Passenger service on the Durham District

Wed Nov 10 20:51:24 EST 2004

I am puzzled by the references in Mail List messages to Trains Nos. 75 and 76 on the Durham line.  I checked operating timetables in our archives in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's without finding any such train numbers on the Durham line.  During those decades, the local freights were Nos. 71 and 72.

Operating Timetable No. 7 Effective Wednesday, August 4, 1954 (about 3 weeks before passenger trains were replaced with mixed trains) lists local freights Nos. 71 and 72.  Supplement "A" Effective 12:01 AM Sunday, August 29, 1954, lists first class mixed trains Nos. 71 and 72.  In none of these sources is there mention of Nos. 75 and 76.

Gordon Hamilton
  Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 9:29 AM
  Subject: Re: Passenger service on the Durham District

  Nos. 75 and 76 were NOT scheduled to operate on Sundays, contrary to
  what N&W promised the North Carolina PUC.
                                                               Harry Bundy