Partners desks at stations

Sun Nov 14 21:59:15 EST 2004

Frank,

The NWHS archives has N & W Dwg. D21247, dated 9/23/20, showing a version of
what the drawing terms a double desk, but what I also have heard referred to
as a partners' desk.  The desk in the drawing has three drawers on each side
of the leg space vs. two in the picture.  Also, the leg style is different,
but both the drawing and the picture show two pencil drawers just above the
upper corners of the leg space.

The drawing has a dimension table to cover four variations.  The width x
length dimension vary from 4' - 0" x 5' - 0" to 4' - 6" x 7' - 0".  One
version has a paneled top with "chase" leather, and one version has a solid
top.  One interesting note reads, "Inkwell stand furnished when specified."

These desk were shop-made and used in virtually all offices of all
departments over virtually the entire N & W.  Lower ranked employees shared
a double desk, but officials had one to themselves.  A secretary would
occupy the opposite side when taking dictation.

To order a copy of the drawing, call the Commissary number and request the
drawing by number.  The member price should be $2.00 plus shipping.

Reportedly there are several of these desks in private hands.  I am aware of
one previously used by the Foreman of the Car Departmen, Roanoke Shops that
was recently acquired from a former NS official in Roanoke by a bed and
breakfast establishment in Appomattox.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 8:15 AM
Subject: Partners desks at stations