New moderate power steam?

Tue Nov 16 17:14:58 EST 2004

Maybe this has been discussed before, but:

With the Ms getting pretty long in the tooth in the late '40s/early
'50s (I remember VGN engine terminal folks taking about the
deteriorating reliablity of the younger MBs in 1950), does anyone know
of any ideas kicking around Roanoke at the time for a new, medium duty
loco design?  No matter how well a machine is maintained, sooner or
later, its bones begin to break.

I think someone said that the 4-8-2s were used for road jobs too light
for an A or a Y, but they were still kinda big for peddler freights,
etc.

pete groom