1920 Rural Retreat Wreck Photos/ATC

Sun Nov 21 19:50:46 EST 2004

Harry,

Thanks for your detailed explanations.  The part which reads:

THE HARD PART - ICC Accident Investigations (#2733 for one) identify the ACL system as Automatic Train Stop - Intermittent Inductive Type.  Special Instructions
in ACL Timetables identify the system as Automatic Train Control.  RF&P Instructions also indicate that their system was Automatic Train Control, but notes that acknowledgement of a change of cab indicator from clear to a less favorable indication must be made within six seconds after whistle sounds to prevent an automatic brake application.

I suspect the ICC was precise in its use of the term Automatic Train Stop, whereas I suspect the ACL and RF&P were less precise in using the generic term Automatic Train Control.  The mention of  an acknowledgement instead of a speed reduction makes me think that the systems on both railraods were Automatic Train Stop rather than Automatic Train Control, and it would make sense that both railroads used the same system to avoid the installation of two different systems on through locomotives.

Gordon Hamilton

  Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 3:39 PM
  Subject: Re: 1920 Rural Retreat Wreck Photos/ATC

  Service between Appomattox Station, Petersburg and Broad Street Station, Richmond
  involved three carriers -- ACL,  RF&P and Richmond Terminal.

  THE EASY PART -- Between Petersburg and Dunlop  (3.0 mi.) this was Centralized
  Traffic Control, automatic train control NOT in service and speed restricted to 50 MPH.
  Between Dunlop and the James River Viaduct (21.6 mil.),  Intermittent  Train Control
  was in effect over ACL ownership. Speed for passenger trains handled by steam
  locomotives 70 MPH (ACL TT #1, 04/25/54).  From the James River Viaduct to
  Acca Wye,  2.83 mi., ownership was RF&P, but ACL's intermittent Train Control was
  in effect. Between Acca Wye and Richmond Terminal (1.2 mi), RF&P's Automatic Train
  Control was in effect, speed not to exceed 20 MPH. 15 MPH between inbound and
  outbound home signals, Broad Street Station.

  THE HARD PART - ICC Accident Investigations (#2733 for one) identify the ACL
  system as Automatic Train Stop - Intermittent Inductive Type.  Special Instructions
  in ACL Timetables identify the system as Automatic Train Control.  RF&P
  Instructions also indicate that their system was Automatic Train Control, but
  notes that acknowledgement of a change of cab indicator from clear to a less
  favorable indication must be made within six seconds after whistle sounds to
  prevent an automatic brake application. Frank Scheer, where are you when I
  need you ?

  Other notes of interest:

  1- ICC Directive No. 13413 ordered N&W to have in service Automatic Train Control
      between Roanoke and Columbus by "the first day of February, A.D., 1926".  Also
      on the Virginian between Norfolk and Roanoke.

  2- The Automatic Train Control in service on the Shenandoah Division was manufactured
      by Union; on the  ACL, it was General Railway Signal.

  3- When "The Champion" was placed in service on December 1, 1939, the ACL
      equipped Engs 500 and 501 (a.k.a. "The Galloping Ghost of the Atlantic Coast")
      with both GRS (intermittent train control over ACL) and Union 3-indication, 2-speed
      continuous train control (for operation over the RF&P to Washington).

  4- C&O used Union Signal Intermittent Induction Train Control Orange to Clifton Forge,
      125 mi., but outfitted four locomotives with three indication cab signals and two
      speed continuous control for operation on the Shenandoah Division between
      Loch Laird and Glasgow.

  5-  N&W had 100 locomotives equipped with cab signals for service between
       Hagerstown and Roanoke in accordance with I.C.C. Order #13413. This from
       "The Signal in the Cab", bulletin No. 144 by the Union Switch & Signal Co.

  6-  There are portions of the C&NW which were doubled tracked with left-hand running.
       I believe this is Automatic Train Stop territory WITH cab signals, but no intermediate
       wayside signals.

  7-  RF&P Instructions indicate that enginemen were required to make an outbound test
       in every instance before leaving the terminal.  Broad Street Station has 8 (plus)
       tracks capable of making the test and so I've been told, the Petersburg Engine
       Terminal also had a test track.
                                                          Harry Bundy