ATC

Tue Nov 23 14:38:27 EST 2004

Harry Bundy states that 100 locomotives were equipped with cab signals. I
can assume that was initially when the N&W installed cab signals.

I have some listings for specific numbers of locomotives equipped with these
devices. It is only a "snapshot in time" at two dates. For brevity, I am
listing the number of each class, not the individual road numbers.

"Locos. equipped with continuous inductive cab signals (mfg. by Union Switch
& Signal Co.)" [used on shen. Div.]

Class            No. in 3/1946            No. in 8/1951

E2a                      1                                    1
K1                        2                                    2
K2a                      5                                    5
M                          5                                    3
M2                        4                                    4
M2c                      1                                    1
Y3                         4                                    3
Y3a                       -                                     1
Y6                        35                                  35
Y6a                     16                                  16
Y6b                       -                                    10

Totals                  79                                  87

"Locos. eequipped with intermittent train stop operating over A.C.L. between
Petersburg & Richmond (mfg. by General Railway Signal Co.)" :

E2a                       2                                    2
K2                         2                                    3

Totals                    4                                    5

The E2a's did not operate on the N&W after 1953 except on the Clinch Valley
line. Road numbers on all classes were very consistent between 1946 and
1951.

Bud Jeffries