2050

Fri Nov 26 23:17:57 EST 2004

Gary,

I volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum (IRM) and I have spent a fair
amount of time trying to piece together how 2050 ended up at IRM.

2050 was retired by the N&W in 1958, and was sent to Armco Steel Co. in
Middletown Ohio along with several other engines to be scrapped.  As far as I know,
the locomotive spent its entire career with the N&W.  At some point after
arriving at Armco Steel, the scrap yard picked 2050 to be a stationary steam
boiler, and cut a hole in its steam dome to attach a steam line.  To the best of
my knowledge the locomotive was only used as a stationary boiler for a short
time, and then went back to the scrap line.  Over the years, some of the
employees at Armco tried to save a few of the Y class engines, and 2050 managed to
survive into the 1970's.

IRM had originally contacted Armco Steel to request a diesel locomotive
donation when they became aware of 2050.  At first, Armco steel wanted too much
money for 2050, and IRM lost interest.  Luckily, shortly after the diesel was
donated, someone from Middletown Ohio who happened to have a large amount of
influence on Armco Steel visited IRM.  They  were impressed, and worked to
convince Armco to donate 2050 to the museum in 1975.  It arrived at the Museum in
April of 1976.

I know a few of the people who went to Middletown to inspect the locomotive,
clean axle bearing, and get the brakes working.  Unfortunately, 18 years of
sitting outside was hard on the locomotive, and it was in fairly rough shape.
N&W had performed boiled work on the engine not too long before retirement, but
the running gear was very tired when it was scrapped.  The jacketing and
lagging had been left on the locomotive, and a fairly deep pit was rusted into the
top of the boiler shell.  As far as I know the faded N&W paint scheme was
still on the engine when in arrived at IRM.

The tender and top 1/2 of the boiler on 2050 were cleaned and painted many
years ago.  Unfortunately, it really needs a good cosmetic restoration.  I have
been raising money for a cosmetic restoration for several years, and I hope to
eventually raise enough money to get the work completed.

Jason Maxwell