D8-32B horns

Sun Dec 12 21:24:12 EST 2004

The official record may state otherwise, but most, if not all, NS B32-8's
were delivered with K5H-type horns. The GP59's from the same period (1989) were
also delivered with K5H's, during an interim period before everything in the
eastern US started coming with K5LA's. I think it was Extra 2200 South where I
read that the horns on the GP59's were failing because they were placed too
close to the exhaust stack. I'm not sure if that also happened with the B32's,
but in any case, many of these units in both classes have been retro-fitted with
K5LA's or other horns over the years.   - Keith Baker, Ft. Wayne,IN