Insulators

Thu Dec 16 22:55:24 EST 2004

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:24:26 -0500
Subject:  White Insulators

N&W used two white insulators on its lineside poles.
I believe these insulators were used on the lines
(wires) that allowed communication with the dispatcher
and station agents along the right-of-way.  In an
emergency, the train crews could attach a portable
handset to these lines in order to communicate with
other personnel.

My question involves the location/placement of the
white insulators.  I believe they were always on the
lowest arm of the lineside pole, and were the two
insulators closest to the track.  I've looked through
numerous books but can't seem to verify this.

I believe all other insulators were green in color,
but I'm not certain about this.

Anyone have a better insight into this interesting
detail?

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
www.pocahontasmodels.com