Insulators

Tue Dec 21 03:26:15 EST 2004

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:09:29 EST
Subject:  Re: Insulators

"Also, they would have to climb a pole to reach the
wires."

Not true Frank. I think I only saw this done once. A
signal maintainer or MoW track patrolman had one of
these portable phones. They used a "Y" shaped pole
that had the wire connections. At the top of each leg
of the "Y" was a part that came back down so that it
would rest on the lines making the connection. This
was done between the poles and no climbing was
necessary.

Merry Christmas,
Jimmy Lisle

December 21, 2004

Hello, Jimmy:

Thanks for the info.  If a plan for the pole turns up
in the archives, I'd like to buy a copy.  I suppose
one easy approach could have been to use a train order
fork with a wooden pole extension, and large gauge
conductors bent into an inverted "U" at each end.

I still am seeking an approximate year when the
dispatcher's wires was removed from the pole line on
the Hagerstown District, as well as whether others can
confirm that these wires are removed elsewhere.

Good night and good morning,

=====
Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.