Station agent duties and tasks

Thu Jan 20 00:16:22 EST 2005

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:44:10 EST
Subject:  Re: Station agent duties and tasks

As Frank noted, in smaller towns, the agent (operator)
doubled as the Railway Express Agent.  In larger
towns, REA had their own agent.  The railway agent
received a commission of 10% of the express
revenue.  At some stations, the agent's Railway
Express commissions would equal his railroad
compensation.  There was a "gentleman's agreement"
however -- he who compiled the complicated end-of-the
month report for REA received the 10%.  Even after
trains handling express were discontinued, REA
continued service with over-the-road trucks.

Harry Bundy

January 20, 2005

Yes, you are right, Harry.  By the early 1970s, only
two stations I worked at had active Railway Express,
then called REA, service.  I never earned the
commission although I accepted or delivered a few
shipments that had arrived via truck.  The regular
agent handled the paperwork and accounting so they
were assured to receive the commission.

Western Union also paid a commission, I believe, but
handling of messages at stations was discontinued
around 1971 just before I started working at them.
Most stations had the tariffs, accounting, and message
forms still laying around while I was there, however.

GN&GM,

Frank

=====
Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator