Train orders

Sun Jan 23 08:08:27 EST 2005

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:21:01 -0000
From: "gmsd80mac" <gp123 at lycos.com>
Subject: A friends pics from Waynesboro last night
OWL shoot

I have not had a chance to look at mine today, but
thought you guys would like to see a friend of mine's
[Mike True] pics...I am trying to get him to join
VRFE.

Gary

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=91942
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=91941

January 23, 2005

Hello, all:

While I understand the "re-creation" aspect of this
event and that it deserves some poetic license, I'm
fascinated that someone decided to use a train order
hoop for the photo and then placed a string across the
middle with the train order.  There's a clip on the
side of a hoop for holding the clearance card and
train order.  The engineman would hook their arm
through the hoop end of the stick to grab it while the
train was in motion, remove the message, then drop the
hoop trackside for retrieval by the operator.

A train order fork such as the one shown in the 1955
scene (not included in the links above but appeared in
an earlier announcement about this event) had a string
with the train order knotted midway.  The train or
engine crew member would use their arm as a hook to
snare the string, leaving the fork in the operator's
hands or on a mast.

In both scenes --old and new-- only one hoop/fork is
visible.  For non-stop trains picking up a clearance
form A, "19" train order(s), and/or message(s), two or
even three forks and sets of copies were required.
One was given to the engineer (snagged by the
fireman), while another was for the conductor (picked
up by the brakeman, flagman, or conductor).  When
required a third set went to the pusher engine crew at
the rear.  If a train was to make a station stop, the
operator gave the second set of orders to the
conductor on the platform or when he came inside to
the operator's office.

Turning back to second picture, the over-under scene
is great.  One would never get that on film were it
not posed.  Now THAT's a historic view!

Best wishes,

Frank

=====