Live Steam Model J

Sun Jan 23 15:23:00 EST 2005

That was one of at least three live steam locomotives built by
Machinist W.E. Cowling at Bluefield. He had built a K and a generic
Pacific before that. The J was completed in the later 1940s and the
company used it for a variety of publicity things including parades,
grade crossing safety education programs and for the officials at their
company retreat, Camp Obidah, now obliterated by I-77 near Bluefield.
They had a track and at least two "Arrow" style coaches as well as
replica signage at the camp. Once the Saunders regime came into power
and the elimination of references to steam power, the J sort of
disappeared. It belonged to Cowling, he built it on company time and
was with it when it was used.  It was a 7 1/2 gauge, 1/8 scale model,
he made all the parts and castings himself, according to what I have
been told.

I tracked down the model in the early 1980s by finding Cowling's
brother in Bluefield. He told me it had been sold some years before to
a fellow near Cincinnati. I tracked this man down, he did indeed have
the locomotive, stored at a Rish Equipment warehouse near Cincinnati.
He was not interested in selling it but invited me to stop and see it
anytime, I was never there. Bob Claytor also tried to purchase it a few
years later and was unsuccessful. The owner decided to sell 7-8 years
back, wanted to get in touch with Claytor and was told he was a few
years too late. His address and phone number are no longer correct and
I have no way to find him, nor the Class J.

Ken Miller