Belews Creek coal train

Tue Feb 1 09:01:59 EST 2005

Ron:
The procedure I citerd  at Belews Creek is probably the best case  scenario.
Too often, the Hours of Service Law comes into play.  On a "slow"  railroad
with only three passing sidings in the hundred miles between Roanoke
and Belews Creek Jct., it's not unusual for a run to die on line.   In
fact, last fall returning from Winston, I noted a train TO Belews  Creek
had expired at the NC-VA state line.  Sometimes the crews are
bussed from Belews Creek to Winston-Salem to take rest and
sometimes, if power is short, the pusher units cut off and return to
Shaffers Crossing solo.  I sure wish I had stock in Cimarron Coach  Co.
                                                        Harry Bundy