Richard Freeman Dunlap

Fri Feb 11 11:30:19 EST 2005

Adm. Scheer:

Mr. Dunlap has left us.  Many a volume could probably be written
about RFD.  He kept a dosier of every supervisor he commanded
(complete with picture) in a notebook on his desk.  One  Operating
Dept. man told me he was called to the Sanctum Sanctorum
and noted the notebook was opened to a page of a fellow he knew.
Shortly thereafter, the man was transferred.

May 2, 1971 -- the last run of the Pocahontas.  I was assigned  to
Lamberts Point, so this incident is second-hand.  I wasn't in  Roanoke
where the incident happened.  There were two No. 4's that day.   First 4
was a passenger geep handling the head end traffic from No. 4  arriving
Roanoke.  On the rear was business car No. 101 assigned to H. E.  Carter.
Second 4, of course, was the passenger section hauled by NKP 759 with
R.B.Claytor and J. P. Fishwick aboard.

Mr. Dunlap had positioned himself at the rear of 1/4.  On the rear  platform
of the 101, Mr. Carter apparently thought he was on the FERDINAND
MAGELLAN, the private car used by U.S. presidents.  He chatted  in-
cessantly with gyrating hand gestures.  Whether Mr. Dunlap was  ready
to get the show on the road or whether he'd become agitated with  Mr. Carter,
in a calm voice, he commanded a subordinate "Get Harold out of town."
Immediately, without any clanging or banging of the draft gear, 1/4
departed Roanoke--with Mr. Carter still on the rear platform, still  making
a speech.  That says something about Mr. Dunlap - - - but not  everything.
                                                            Harry Bundy