The Term "CT"

Sun Feb 13 21:18:01 EST 2005

:"abramo"...wrote......
> Given the fact that E. W. Clarke & Co. brought into the N&W mix some
> people of ... er, shall we say "northern extraction"...

The folks at E.W.Clark & Co. were viewed as "saviors" by the Shenandoah
Valley Railroad, after bad treatment at the hands of Pennsylvania RR in the
1870s.  Frederick J. Kimball who was sent by E.W.Clark & Co.,was actually
Milnes's nephew, and viewed as "one of our own" by the backers of the
railroad. And although Philadelphia is north of Roanoke, it is probably most
accurate to say they were of "british extraction" rather than northern, as
the family ties went back only one generation to England.

 Mason Cooper