Chauffeuring on the railroad....

Wed Feb 16 09:03:23 EST 2005

I, too, owned a '66 Pontiac, but it wasn't a GTO (Gas, Tires, Oil ?).
The mobile home park I lived in didn't have garbage pick up.   Tenants
were required to take trash/garbage to the dumpsters at Montvale.
It was 19 miles from home to the parking lot in front of the Roanoke
psgr station.  Parking wasn't restricted then.  I'd sacked my  garbage
and trash, but forgot to make the Montvale set-off.  During the  day,
the sack sat in the car and the aroma grew.  On the way home, an
officer of the Safety Department was leaving the psgr station and
asked if I could give him a ride to pick up his car at Birdland
Chevrolet.  Umm, uh, umm uh.   How do you say " no  "  ?

Safety belts received much attention on the N&W.  To this day, I  can
be seated on an Amtrak train or a city bus, and habitually I'll reach  for
the safety belt.  One of the higher-ups in the Motive Power  Depart-
ment was to meet a master mechanic on the Lake Region and by
company vehicle they were to travel to Conneaut.  When seated,  the
man from "HQ" began to grope for the belt.  What a revelation!   The
master mechanic had cut the belts off.
                                                             Harry Bundy