Mine Names on the Dry Fork Branch

Sun Mar 13 21:47:18 EST 2005

Leslie,

The booklet, Coal and the Norfolk and Western Railway, which should be available through the Commissary, provides a map and list of all coal mines, circa 1929.  You might want to pick up a copy of this from the Society.

 From the October 1, 1952 Officers, Agents & Stations:

Dry Fork Pocahontas Coal Co., Auville, WV
Cardiff Coal Co., Garland, WV
Pond Creek PocahontasCo. (Opers. No. 1, 2, and 4), Bartley, WV
Olga Coal Co. (Olga No. 2 Oper. and Caretta Oper.), Juno, WV
New River and Pocahontas Coal Co. (Oper No. 6), Newhall, WV
Call Coal Co., Newhall, WV
Jacobs Fork Pocahontas Coal Co., Squire, WV
Pocahontas Corporation (Pocahontas Colliery No. 33), Bishop, VA
New River and Pocahontas Consolidated Coal Co. (Oper No. 10), Hartwell, WV
Pocahontas Corporation (Opers. 31 and 32), Amonte, VA

Hope this helps.

Jim Brewer
www.pocahontasmodels.com

  Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:38 PM
  Subject: RE: 4 Days on the N&W

  Wondering if anyone has a stations and siding list from 1955 or 1954....
  I am looking for the mine names on the dry fork branch...They
  changed owners and names between 1955 and 1959. I have a
  1959 stations and sidings book. Island Creek bought most of the
  Pond Creek Pocahontas mines and renamed them.

  Thanks

  Leslie Eversole