Durham District in the '50s?

Sat Mar 26 14:04:30 EST 2005

Chuck,

Just to set the record straight, the diesels were introduced to the Durham Line in late 1955 instead of late 1956.  Four EMD GP-9s (No. 700 - 703) were delivered Sept. 1955, and four Alco RS-3s (No. 300 - 303) were delivered Sept. and Oct. 1955.  It is my understanding that these eight units were used to dieselize the Durham Line.

The additional four RS-3s (No. 304 - 307) were delivered in Jan. and Feb. 1956, after which the N & W switched its Alco purchases to RS-11s.

Gordon Hamilton

  Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 11:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Durham District in the '50s?

  Fred,

  The Lynchburg and Durham Railroad and the Durham District of N&W is an interest of mine and I can give you a little information.  Hopefully some of the N&W veterans out there can add to what little I know or will correct any mistakes.

  There exists in the N&W Archives a copy of the 1926 track map for the line from Lynchburg to Durham.  It was revised last in 1968.  At milepost L-70 there is a notation on the map of " A. & D. Ry - O.H. Xing".  The A&D goes over the L&D (I think.....I will have to check that out) and there is no interchange.

  Also in the Archives are a number of pictures taken in Durham in the 1940s and 1950s of various freight locomotives, including Classes Y6, Y3, Y4, and Z1b, all steam.  Passenger locomotives pictures include E2, E2a, K1 and K2 locomotives. The diesels were introduced in late 1956.  Only 8 RS-3s were purchased and initially 4 were quietly put to use in the Durham District. N&W went on to purchased many more EMD GP9s and Alco RS-11s in 1956 and 1957 and used them with the RS-3s.  I do not yet know when the RS-3s were taken out of service, but they were not the only diesels for very long.

  On August 28, 1954 regular 1st class passenger service ended between Lynchburg and Durham when trains No. 35 and 36 were discontinued.  N&W upgraded local freight trains No. 71 and 72 to mixed train status by puting a combine on the end.  Both the steam and diesel locomotives pulled these trains until the end of 1957, when the mixed service was discontinued and trains 71 and 72 went back to 4th class local freight.  I hope this is helpful.

  Chuck Stewart
  Bahama (just north of Durham) NC.

    Folks,
       I'm modeling the Atlantic & Danville Rwy. Does anybody know how much interchange useage was made between the N&W and the A&D at (Denniston?)off the L&D line in the 50's? Also what type of traffic was interchanged? Also what type of power did the N&W use for there frts say from 1955 to 1960? I think the N&W used RS-3's to dieselize this line, but not sure when and how long they were the only power? Anybody have a map of the trackage in this area?
    Thanks for any help,
    Fred Mullins