Tue Apr 19 06:44:30 EDT 2005

This makes perfect sense!  (For a change.)  I'm impressed.  Perhaps in the future, NS will do more of the same when they need to replace the signals at interlockings.

On the Bristol Line, we still have the CPL's at all the interlockings except Bristol and Crockett, which were updated when the track arrangements were changed.  The only CPL installation that was replaced at an interlocking was at the old east end Abingdon signal, and that signal was near the point of collapse.  (I purchased the signal arms off of that particular signal from NS.)

At last, some common sense is being applied!!!

Ben Blevins

OK, you guys got my curiosity up so I talked to the guy who handled the job.

Here's the skinny:

The signals in question are home signals for one of the largest interlocking
plants on the old N&W. In order to convert to colorlight signals, it would
have required a good bit of re-wiring. Anytime you make wiring changes (the
FRA calls it "disarrangement") extensive testing is required before putting
the plant back in service. By re-furbishing some CPL's and just re-cabling
to feed them, you only have to verify the aspects are what they are supposed
to be. So it was a cost saving decision; saved time and labor.

This is also apparent on some of the poleline elimination work on such as
the Bristol and Shenandoah lines, where intermediate signals are mostly
changed, but control point signals remain CPL's, I believe.

John Marbury
retired NS, C&S

In discussing the CPLs a few years back with an NS Official in the
Signal and Communication department, I asked about a specific control
point signal near my house, this is a single mast, 2 head signal. He
knew exactly which one I was referring to and said it was not slated
for replacement due to its complexity of the various aspects, he
further stated that unless there is a major failure on any of that
type, they were not to be replaced. Again, this was a few years back,
but makes the most sense for this specific location.

Ken Miller