Semaphore and CPL at VMT

Wed Apr 20 21:55:55 EDT 2005

Ben,

I have a fully restored CPL two arm signal along my driveway. It has been up
for ten years now.

The restoration project took me about six months. We brought it home on a
roll back wrecker, chained it to a tree and pulled the truck out from under it.
No real damage, the ladder was already bent. We got some interesting looks
coming up I-81. I completely dissassembled everything, straightened and
sandblasted all the parts. Then I primed and repainted everything with two coats of
silver and gloss black - mistake - the glare was tremendous and I then realized
they are painted matte or flat black on the railroad. I corrected this problem
when it was repainted. I also rewired the unit and replaced the bulbs with long
life 1156 12V automotive bulbs. The signal is controlled with one of Radio
Shacks clock timers and relays that normally control room lighting. The radio
signal runs thur the 110 volt wiring. The relays are hidden away behind the
phone in a lineside phone box. Works great.

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
Troutville, VA