One person crews

Fri Apr 29 23:02:42 EDT 2005

Dittos Jimmy!

There are still a few of us around with enough whiskers, and sore backs, that know how to replace a knuckle by yourself. It may be true of Amtrak employees, understandably, but that's a whole 'nuther subject. And, besides, if an engineer "gets a knuckle" on a passenger train, he probably shouldn't be qualified in the first place!

Jeff Sanders
  Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 3:17 PM
  Subject: Re: One person crews

    A one-person crew would handle a knuckle or air hose the same way a
    two-person, or a three-person crew would...call for Mechanical  Department
    assistance.  Light unit consists have been operating engineer only on N&W
    for years.
    By the way, do you think an Amtrak crew could change a knuckle or even know
    how to use an air hose wrench?  If your answer is yes, go back to sleep,
    you're having a very pleasant dream!  Don Corbin

  Well Don,
  You just made me sit straight up in bed with that nasty statement! With railfans like you, we don't need any enemies!

  What the heck have you been smokin' lately? I do take exception to your snide comments about the working knowledge of train crews and I feel that an apology is warranted to all operating employees that read this forum!

  Yes, you are correct that with a one man crew some assistance will be necessary, but it wouldn't have to come from the mechanical department. I don't guess you have ever heard about a "Utility Man"?

  I hope this one man crew never comes to pass for NS's sake!
  Jimmy Lisle