N&W Equipment through Alexandria VA

Mon May 9 07:59:56 EDT 2005

N&W sleepers were not operated on Bristol line trains after the Budd 10-6's were sold.  After all, there weren't but three cars left!  Trains 41 & 42 probably had the biggest mix of N&W, Southern and PRR equipment.  In the early '60's there was also a Knoxville-Roanoke heavyweight DE diner.  Trains 41 & 42 also had heavy head-end railway express and storage mail business.  Trains 17& 18 also had a fair amount of head-end traffic as well.  It had a Washington-Roanoke diner furnished by the Southern.  Southern sleepers were used on this train.  Trains 45 & 46 originally were the showpiece of the three.  But, in their latter days, also a lot of head-end business.  The sleeper and diner, as long as the operated, were Southern.  There was a short period in the 50's when N&W and Southern furnished a lounge car on alternate days.  The N&W car one of the three PM coach conversions (1720-1722).
                                        Don Corbin

  Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 10:59 PM
  Subject: N&W Equipment through Alexandria VA

  Southern Trains #41-42 - The Pelican which was a New York - New Orleans train operated through Roanoke, Bristol, Chattanooga, Birmingham, etc. always seemed to carry as much N&W equipment as Southern equipment. The diner, New Orleans-New York Pullman, and at least one coach were N&W equipment.

  At least one Southern coach, combine and the RPO were in the consist.  Ahead of the RPO was always quite interesting along with the assigned motive power.

  This was in the early 1960's when there may still have been a Bristol-New York sleeper (probably to accommodate business travelers from Kingsport going to New York as air travel to New York was still not an exact science from Tri-Cities airport) which might have been a Pennsylvania sleeper.  Often I remember seeing a Pennsylvania sleeper south of Bristol.

  The other two trains through Bristol - the Birmingham Special and the Tennessean always seemed to have a solid consist of Southern equipment.  I guess the mixture on the Pelican was to balance per diem mileage charges among the various railroads.

  However, as the sixties progressed, things really changed!

  BILL PALMER
  LUBBOCK TX

    Just my input-guess.  Given this was a pool service

    train, wouldn't N&W just keep the PRR-RF&P- pool cars

    painted in tuscan until the termination of that

    particular service??  The RF&P repainted 1 of their

    three 10-6 cars, but not until L1960s -1970, when it

    was reassigned to Florida service.  Maybe because I

    pay attention to the SCL-SOU trains I (me personally)

    never remember seeing any blue N&W cars.  The pictures

    I saw were all red.  So when I saw the

    stainless and blue N&W coach model I just had to find

    out whether it was a legitimate paint scheme !  Maybe

    there was a chance that N&W blue cars never operated

    over the RF&P ???

    C Harrison

    May 8, 2005

    Hello, all:

    I never saw any N&W equipment operate through

    Alexandria.  I always thought the through sleeper

    operation was gone by the mid-1960s and that it was

    coaches only that departed Broad Street station for

    Norfolk.