All Spruced Up

Wed May 11 15:22:01 EDT 2005

Gary,

You haven't really had the camp car experience unless you have tried to
sleep all night in one on the rear of a long freight train running 50 or 60
mph.  This would be a camp car with no snubbers in the trucks, so vibration
was continuous, and the slack action was so severe at times that it would
knock the pots and pans off their wall hooks in the kitchen at one end of
the car.  This was the summer of 1954 when I worked as a laborer on the N&W
weed spray train.  After spraying to Hagerstown our outfit was placed on the
rear of a fast freight for an overnight return to Roanoke.  Don't let anyone
tell you that Y-6 steam locomotives could not run upwards of 60 mph on the
northern end of the Shenandoah Division.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: All Spruced Up

>  Jimmy,
>
>      nah, I just spend 4 nights a week sleeping in a siding beside a
mainline. It is fun when you finally fall to sleep after a hard days work on
the railroad, only to be rudely awakened by a 50 mph train rocking your bed.