June 1887 Shenandoah Valley Railroad --why, it seems just like yesterda...

Sun Jun 19 21:04:13 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/19/2005 5:40:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

> Concrete, Va is not a point you hear much about.

Jim,
       The area we call "Concrete" starts at the 30mph curve just south of
MP120 and runs south just shy of MP121. There was a concrete dam on the
Shenandoah River there, hence the name "Concrete". The dam was blown up and was left
in sections until this past year when someone went in and completely broke it
up. It is no longer a hazard to navigation.
       Concrete is also the beginning of what we call "Weaver's Bluff",
extending to about MP 123.5. This is a great place to see bear,eek! Not so great
when having to check a car for a hotbox.
       Concrete is just south of Rocky Bar which is just south of Island Ford
and Weaver's Bluff is just north of Lynnwood. I know there was a siding at
one time at Island Ford but I have never heard of one being at MP120. I'll look
at my list of old station names to see what I can find.
Jimmy Lisle
PS - Anyone want to guess where "Finneyville" is located?