Station lighting prior to rural electrification

Tue Jul 5 15:06:42 EDT 2005

Frank,

Off hand, I don't know of any definitive info on N&W station electrical
supply pre 1930's, or even what the signal system supply was in those days.
Probably the best clues come from reviewing the results of a search of the
Va. Tech photo collection for "stations." I'm confident that these station
photos are mostly from the 1915 - 1920 period of ICC-mandated property
valuation activity. The pole lines in these pictures look different from
the more modern pole lines with their 3-phase, 4800 volt lines and bayonet
static line supports. In some photos the pole lines appear to come into the
station at right angles to the track, suggesting a non-railroad supply. In
other photos, such as
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns510.jpeg
the pole line feeding the station runs parallel to the track, suggesting a
railroad supply.

For a couple of interesting 1917 views of a power house (presumably for the
signal system) at Dwight on the Norfolk Division, check out these two links
to the Va Tech photo collection:

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/glass_plates/screen/03GP0360.jpg

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/glass_plates/screen/03GP0391.jpg

This power house may be a good illustration how the N&W obtained power for
its signal system before rural electrification.

Gordon Hamilton