Did 1218 descend Saluda Grade?

Sun Jul 17 17:43:04 EDT 2005

It's my understanding that the vertical curves on Saluda grade would've been
too much for the tolerances on the hinge connection between the front and
rear engines on 1218 and that's one reason why it never ran there. Also,
remember that 1218 was out of service after the 1991 season and NS didn't
allow 611 on the grade until 1992. Ed Painter...help me out with this!

Al Evans