Abandonment of NS line through Farmville, VA is underway

Mon Aug 1 19:49:18 EDT 2005

Evening All -

The physical abandonment of the former N&W mainline through Farmville has officially started. NS MOW crews are starting at Pamplin and working their way east. Just this afternoon (yes, on a Sunday) there was a spike pulling machine working eastbound just west of Prospect. Not far behind was a crane pulling ties. I was able to shoot over 60 photos today at various locations to document the line before the rails are gone forever. I did note that all of the signals with the exception of Atwood and Shields were dark. It will never look the same.

I have posted a thread on trainorders with photos, just follow the link below.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,970182

For those who aren't members of trainorders, I have uploaded the images to my website.
http://members.trainorders.com/varailfan/images/farmville_abandonment_1.jpg
http://members.trainorders.com/varailfan/images/farmville_abandonment_2.jpg

Jeff Hawkins