NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 18, Issue 4

Wed Aug 3 08:37:45 EDT 2005

Good morning:

I had accidentally deleted a couple of the digests from the recent few days
before I had a chance to read them. Vol. 18, #4 referred to some bit of info
about the Carter Sisters.

I have an OLD 78 RPM recording by the "Carter Family" entitled "The Careless
Motorman" which I'd bet referred to an accident on an electrified freight line
-- possibly Virginian. The song was done in the late 20s/early 30s and refers
to "motorman", "main-line motor" (as the electric locos were called),
"freight cars", "weigh-man", etc.

I don't know if this ties in with the other thread about the Carters, but it
is of some interest in its own right.

Herb Kern
Mobile, AL